Upgrading to SQLCipher 4

Hello @zpapp - one fairly standard way to do this follows:

1. Attempt to open the database using standard settings (i.e. whatever the defaults are for the current version of SQLCipher for the app (in this case SQLCipher 4).

2. If the database can’t be opened using the key and the default settings, try to open it and run PRAGMA cipher_migrate on it (e.g. with postKey in the case of android). This would then attempt to upgrade the database. If the migration succeeds, you can continue to use that connection for the remainder of the application lifecycle. If the key is incorrect here, then migration will not occur and the database will remain untouched.

3. If step 1 and step 2 fail, then the key material is incorrect or the settings of the database were not consistent with defaults for previous SQLCipher verions (i.e. custom settings were used that require manual migration)

This approach has the benefit of performing optimimally in the standard case when the database has already been migrated. It has a slowdown in the event that the key material is incorrect because the key may be derived multiple times to attempt migration, but that usally acceptable in most cases.

In the event that incorrect keys are a common situation, and thus the performance hit for rechecking in step 2 is not acceptable, then the other approaches you mentioned are more suitable, i.e. statefully tracking the current version of the database in an application preference.

2 Likes