Change Password of the Database

Hi All,

I see that there is a method in net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteOpenHelper changePassword(string). Is there any specific process to do this ? Meaning, I tried this method which ultimately threw

file is encrypted or is not a database when using onCreate(db) db object

or below error when using getWriteableDatabase(currentPassword)

net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteException: unknown error
04-09 16:13:47.629: E/AndroidRuntime(23895): 	at net.sqlcipher.database.SQLiteDatabase.native_rekey(Native Method

)
Is this method intended to literally change the password of database at runtime ? Pls clarify

Hello @vinay_kumar

The changePassword(…) function performs a native call to sqlite3_rekey. Please note you must have successfully keyed the database prior to making this call. The documentation for the native call can be found here.

Thanks for that Nick…GOT IT WORKING

Hi guys, i have this snippet from tabnine AI. is below snippet working to change password of db ?

@Synchronized
    fun changePassword(context: AppCompatActivity, dbPrefixName: String, previousPassword: String, newPassword: String) {
      val factory = SupportOpenHelperFactory(previousPassword.toByteArray(StandardCharsets.UTF_8))
      val id = DeviceInfo.cachedAndroidId
      dbLocation =
        FileManager(context).getAppFile("databases/${dbPrefixName}${id}" + (if (BuildConfig.DEBUG) ".sql" else "")).absolutePath
      val database =
        Room.databaseBuilder(context, DLRoomDatabase::class.java, dbLocation).openHelperFactory(factory).build()
      database.query("PRAGMA rekey = '$newPassword';", emptyArray())
      // finish activity
      context.finishAffinity()
    }
  • Android room database
  • SQLCipher android