Android SDK23 APK with Cipher not installing on Galaxy Note 5

Hi.

I am building (with 1 developer) my first Android app, using SQLCipher (compiled with SDK23, db in internal memory).

All works FINE (app installing and running with no problems) for example on Sony Xperia S (Android 4.1.2), Sony Xperia Z (Androids 6) Samsung A (Android 5).

BUT

When trying to install on a new Samsung Galaxy Note 5 (Android 6.0.2) the same APK does not even install, but crashes immediately. If the same app is compiled without Cipher/encryption, then all works also fine on the Galaxy Note. So it seems the issue is clearly related to the Note 5 (Android 6) when using Cipher.

We tried for a few days to figure out what the issue might be - unfortunately with no success :frowning:

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I see: The Galaxy Note 5 has a ARM64-v8A Instruction set…

Means:

1. crash due to the fact that ARM64-v8A Instruction set is not supported?

2. You mentioned that this is expected to be fixed with OpenSSL 1.1.0. DO you have any realistic estimate when this will be available and Cipher updated accordingly to support ARM64?

Thanks

Hi @TTom911

SQLCipher for Android does not current include support for 64 bit native libraries, see here for more details. We believe OpenSSL should address this limitation in the 1.1.0 release.

Thanks, Nick. Yes, I figured that by now.

Question: I know you depend on OpenSSL 1.1.0 being released first, but assume
1.1.0 would be available, how much time would be required to then release
Cipher after that? Just so I get a feel for timelines.

Thanks

Hi @TTom911

It is difficult to say currently. We will need to understand the changes to the build chain for supporting new platform targets in OpenSSL, then we will need to verify that new builds have no regressions before we release additional platform support.