Build static lib with VS 2017

I have successfully built sqlcipher using VS 2017 and openssl but it generates a shared lib and dll.
(I modified makefile.msc)

What do I need to do to build a static lib?

Thanks.

Hello @mtissington Thanks for trying out SQLCipher. I’m sorry to say that due to the very wide variety of configuration and build options for Windows, it falls outside the scope of Zetetic’s public support for SQLCipher Community Edition. This means that we don’t provide build instructions or public support for compilation on that platform; we only directly support the official Commercial Edition packages we distribute.

You are still certainly welcome to build things on your own under the Community Edition license, it’s just that you’d be responsible for coming up with a working approach for your own application (though of course other members of the SQLCipher user community are free to chime in here with advice if they’d like).

Hi,

I’ve managed to build SQLCipher as static library in Visual Studio 2015 & 2017 although I wonder if its not just OpenSSL that requires it to get what in turn uses SQLCipher not be dependent on OpenSSL in a DLL. The SQLCipher generates SQLite C-files in amalgamation doesnt it?

I have used OpenSSL 1.1.0g as I read somewhere it was the match to SQLCipher 3.4.2.

The generated SQLite files also seems to works in Xamarin Android thru CLANG with older OpenSSL 1.0.x.

It is being used in our latest product versions encrypted with raw hex key.

I wonder where would be the best place to post the somewhat lengthy instructions. I am hoping somebody would find it useful, improve it (it is a hack now) and maybe make is as a package in vcpkg.

Hello @Kimpan - Since these would be third-party build instructions I would suggest posting it on your own website or blog. This way it is clear that they reflect your results and requirements, etc, and will make it easier for you to keep things updated as things inevitably change, and for people to contact you if they have questions. Thanks for using SQLCipher!