Improving find in codebook

I would like to request a feature enhancement. The find in codebook feature for iOS safari is great. I use codebook to store credit card numbers as well. It would be nice to be able to use this feature for the card numbers as well. This works great with secret agent for MacOS, but would like something similar for iOS. Thanks.

Hi @schmatt

Thanks for using Codebook and posting with this feature request.

The find in codebook feature for iOS safari is great.

Glad to hear you like it!

I use codebook to store credit card numbers as well. It would be nice to be able to use this feature for the card numbers as well.

We considered this as well when developing the feature initially. Unfortunately, there isn’t a standardized input type or form structure for credit card numbers and expiration dates. Additionally, because of the inability to invoke Safari app extensions while the keyboard is displaying, we can’t mimic the insert behavior on Codebook for macOS (based on “focus”).

Most likely what would be required to allow it to work properly is to associate certain “input id’s” with certain fields within Codebook on a per-website basis. Something along the lines of “training” Find in Codebook to insert certain fields into certain input ids for each website desired. One of the main issues with this is it is also somewhat fragile (if a site decides to change it’s input id’s you’d have to re-train Codebook) rather than just working out of the box like Find in Codebook currently does with usernames, emails, and passwords.

Because of these reasons we’re not planning on extending Find in Codebook’s functionality to include Credit Card numbers at this time, although we may revisit this in the future.

Cheers,
Micah