Removing a device from Sync

Hi @yunamc,

Glad to hear it! I would like to follow up on one point that is not entirely accurate in my previous response:

When you delete Codebook from a device, it no longer has a copy of your Sync Key, which is stored in Codebook’s encrypted database, and required for decrypting any of the synced data.

This is the case when we’re talking about a mobile device, specifically Android and iOS devices. When you delete the app, the app’s data storage, including the encrypted database is deleted.

On the desktop this is not the same. Both macOS and Windows versions of Codebook store the encrypted database file separately from the application. This means that if, for example, you delete Codebook from the Applications folder on a Mac, the encrypted data still exists on that computer.

We have an FAQ item here, documenting how to reset Codebook, that tells you exactly where these files are stored so you can delete them:

However, it occurs to me that we could use a page over at the Codebook Help pages documenting how to delete your data, I’m adding that to our task list now.