Sync Key: multiple issues and cannot backup anymore

Using it on OSX, Android, iOS and Windows.

After multiople back and forth, surprising messages in the app (what’s a syn key anyway?) and several crashes (OSX), I seem to have setup a sync key on my remote destination, which isn’t accessible with any device.

What’s next??
Should I unlink and create a new key?
Do I have to unlink from all devices?

And, really: adding a crucial new feature without any meaningful documentation and a rather hazardous click flow is well, only borderline responsible dev behaviour …

OK, unlinking and relinking my Google Drive does not do the job.
“Failed to open remote metadata file
Your local Sync Key may not match the Sync Key used to create the meta data file”

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

@h321

Thanks very much for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry for the disruption after updating.

And, really: adding a crucial new feature without any meaningful documentation and a rather hazardous click flow is well, only borderline responsible dev behaviour …

There’s some documentation along with example clips here:

Many of the pages can be accessed by clicking the “Help” buttons (?) in the lower right hand corner of the Sync Key Setup screens.

Codebook 4 now uses a Sync Key to encrypt synced data. A single Sync Key needs to be shared between all of your devices (i.e. the same one). This error message indicates that there are different Sync Keys on your devices.

If you have one device that’s successfully syncing, let’s keep this device’s Sync Key and we’ll call that device “Master” for the rest of these steps.

Could you please examine the Word Lists on each other device and compare them to Master’s Word List. You can display the Word Lists on each device by following these steps: Codebook Help - Sync Key Word List

If your Sync Keys don’t match, you’ll want to delete the non-matching ones by following these steps: Codebook Help - Delete Your Sync Key

After, you can lock Codebook and unlock Codebook on the devices where you deleted the sync keys and it will prompt you to set up the Sync Key again. Choose “YES” to import the Sync Key from your Master device by following these steps:

The import instructions/example is under “If you’ve already setup a sync key”
The display instructions/example is under “Displaying Your Sync Key”

Please let me know if these steps allow you to get up and running with the same Sync Key, and sync between your devices.

I’ll be happy to assist if you run into any issues or have any questions along the way.

Thanks!

I deleted the existing Sync Key, deleted the folder in Google Drive where the preexisting Sync Key was causing the mess and now sync is working again.

@h321

Glad to hear you’re up and running.

Please feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions, issues, or feedback.