Codebook 4.2.1 leaving button on screen

Running Codebook 4.2.1.0 on a Windows 10 system (1909 18363.900) leaves a persistent small “Codebook” banner on top left of my screen. It exists on all screens that I open, regardless of app or program. It is not an active button, but looks like a button.

I will try to post a screen shot of my desktop screen

I’ve seen the same issue but it has disappeared. I don’t know what prompted it. Win10 2004 now Codebook 4.2.1.0 but maybe earlier. Sorry I don’t remember when it first appeared.

Hi @harnadem, @Dan_Danz

We have received reports of this rogue tooltip display in the past. Unfortunately, we’ve been unable to reproduce it in a controlled environment to allow for further debugging. When it has appeared for others, fully closing the application via the File → Exit Application and restarting Codebook has removed the tooltip. If you happen to consistently reproduce it, we would love to hear the details!

I will try what you suggest, and will keep an eye on the problem. Thank you

Hey there! Just to let you know the little rogue button is still popping up. As with y’all, I cannot force it to pop up; it just randomly displays and stays. shutting down the app removes it, and it does not necessarily reappear in the same session after reinitializing codebook. Since it’s been over 2 years with nary a peep, I just thought I’d bump this thread to let you know that this gremlin is still out there. And it’s still mildly annoying. If I happen to trip upon a method to cause it to pop up reliably, I’ll update.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎2/‎3/‎2021
OS build 19045.2486
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Codebook for windows 4.5.14.0 with SQLCipher version 4.5.2 zetetic

Hello @pbabcock,

Thank you for the report, we appreciate it! Unfortunately, we have not been able to reproduce this in a local test environment thus far. We will continue to keep an eye out for it. We are also tracking this report in our issue tracking database.

I too see this, but can narrow it down to appearance before the first execution after installing the latest update when prompted by Codebook to do so. Its origin on the screen appears to be at 0,0, it displays the single word “codebook” in black text on a white background as if it was a button, although clicking it or attempting to expand it does nothing. I’ll try to remember to get a crash dump for you folks the next time it appears.

New news - it seems to be associated with the taskbar and not specifically clicking the Codebook icon in the taskbar. Today: fresh boot, no button. Started printing some things, clicked the up arrow on the taskbar to show the processes so that I could check the print queue, and up popped the indomitable Codebook button in the upper LH corner of my screen.

One clue I can give you is that the text that appears is identical to what is displayed if I hover over the taskbar icon only. In other words, it’s the same pop-up that displays like a tool tip. It has started to show after reboots in the absolute upper left corner of the screen. It moves from the 0,0 position to the tooltip position and then doesn’t show again if I provoke it to display elsewhere by hovering over the taskbar icon. I will try to get screen shots next time it falsely appears.

L W “Dan” Danz
Overland Park KS

Hi @Dan_Danz, @pbabcock,

Can you confirm when you see the tooltip following a reboot:

• Is the tooltip issue displayed immediately following Windows login?
    • If so, do you have Codebook for Windows configured to run at Windows login?
    • If not, are you using the application and either close the main window, or perform a File → Exit Application in which you see the tooltip?

Howdy!

It’s not apparent immediately after log in to windows. I’ve had it pop up immediately after opening Codebook from the toolbar as well as just opening the toolbar, as reported yesterday. And I’ve had it not appear during either event, too - as y’all note: it’s not consistent.

I exit the app to eliminate the tool tip. It does not seem to recur during a windows session in which I’ve whacked it in this manner - it hasn’t to date, in any case!

It seems to me to reappear AFTER an in-place update of Codebook and then a reboot (perhaps to install Windows updates). It does start with Windows, and has no shortcut on the desktop (I depend on the semi-permanent icon in the far right part of the taskbar for all activations on all 4 of our systems). I seldom use Secret Agent. I’ve seen it with Win 10 22H2 19045.2673 and earlier. It is registered with Windows as an auto-fill provider. I can’t remember if I’ve seen the problem on my Win 11 22H2 laptop.

I’ll try to be more attentive at what happens immediately before it shows up the next time.

Hi @pbabcock, @Dan_Danz,

Thank you for the additional details, we will continue to investigate the issue to see if we can replicate it locally. Thanks!

I have also continued to see the button. Most times it appears in the top left of the screen, but it also appears in the bottom right. Showing hidden icon on the task bar (the ^ icon) and then hovering over the Codebook icon makes it disappear

I’ve come to the conclusion that it is the tooltip property of the icon for codebook, and on my system I keep an icon for Codebook in the notification area {not in the main taskbar}. I have noticed an unsolicited display of the tooltip, and in that position it hovers over and completely blocks the icon underneath it.

So my theory is that if Windows wrongly thinks it needs to be activated and it doesn’t pass populated the coordinates of the icon, the 0,0 coordinates means the toast will display in top left corner of the screen.

Or it could be codebook during startup that accidentally activates the toast display but doesn’t pass non-zero display coordinates.

I can’t identify the behavior that causes the phantom toast display over the icon in the notification area unless it’s accidental haphazard positioning of the mouse pointer.