Codebook DB for iTunes File Sharing?

I am using an old codebook still (2.x) and I was wondering if the 3.x version has support for iTunes File sharing, and why not? :slight_smile:
This would be useful so one could save/restore the SQLCipher DB file without having to get (i.e. buy) some additional desktop software or have the DB ever leave the phone-desktop “ecosystem”.

I was wondering if the 3.x version has support for iTunes File sharing, and why not?

Codebook for iOS does not support side-loading a database created on another device. We didn’t implement that because we spent our time implementing what we think are better solutions that are easier for us to troubleshoot and support. We have no plans to implement iTunes File Sharing and use it as a restore mechanism.

This would be useful so one could save/restore the SQLCipher DB file without having to get (i.e. buy) some additional desktop software or have the DB ever leave the phone-desktop “ecosystem”.

You can backup to iTunes to achieve this, and it doesn’t require us to code in logic to check for a new database file, and replace the existing one, or prompt the user, or avoid setup mode, yadda yadda yadda. Just turn off iCloud backup and instead backup to iTunes if you 1) don’t want to pay for the desktop version and 2) don’t want the encrypted db to ever land in the cloud.

(But really you should consider buying the desktop version—it’s free to try!)