Codebook Ending Support for macOS 10.12 through 10.14

Hi @jtclayton

Thank you for your support of Codebook and for posting to the discussion forum.

I don’t believe I can synchronize between the phone and the desktop anymore.

You should still be able to continue syncing between Codebook for macOS and Codebook for iOS.

Just to clarify, the latest Codebook for macOS release (Codebook for macOS 4.5.9 Released) and the next Codebook for macOS release (4.5.10) won’t drop support for 10.13 and will be fully sync compatible the latest Codebook for iOS updates.

The plan is to drop support for macOS 10.14 and below in the release after 4.5.10. Even though support will be dropped for those versions in that update, you should still be able to sync Codebook for macOS 4.5.9 and 4.5.10 with Codebook for iOS as it updates until a Codebook for iOS update does a schema change. Currently we’re definitely planning a schema change in Codebook for iOS 5, but at this time we don’t have one planned before then.

To summarize, you should be able to continue syncing Codebook for macOS 4.5.9/4.5.10 with Codebook for iOS 4.x as it updates, but you won’t be able to sync it with Codebook for iOS 5.x when that’s released.

Is there anything better I can do to cope without burdening a charge card?

You could turn off automatic updates for App Store applications on your iOS device by following these instructions: How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support and then handle manually updating Codebook for iOS (and other iOS applications) first reviewing the release notes for whether there are schema changes which will make it sync incompatible. When there are schema changes which make an update sync incompatible, we always call it out in the release notes. You can view the release notes here in the discussion forum or in the Codebook for iOS App Store page here: Connecting to the iTunes Store.

This would allow you to stay at the Codebook 4.x series to allow you to continue syncing with Codebook for macOS 4.x until you’re able to update your hardware.

Let me know if this answers your questions. If you’re experiencing any sync issues with the current versions, feel free to let us know here on the discussion forum or write us at support@zetetic.net and we’ll be happy to help. Thanks!