Codebook for macOS 4.5.17 Beta - macOS Sonoma and More

There’s a new version of macOS just around the corner, macOS 14 Sonoma! While our main focus at the moment is the new, automatic sync service for Codebook 5, we have taken the time to make sure the current version production line of Codebook 4 is ready for when Sonoma drops.

The main thing we really needed to adjust was a couple of rather old buttons that were using a style now deprecated in the latest macOS, giving them a somewhat squished appearance. If you are currently running Codebook 4 on the Sonoma Beta, open up Customize Labels and check out the buttons on the right side of the sheet to see what I mean.

While I was in there I thought I’d give the Customize Labels view a little bit of a refresh. Nothing fancy, but it looks a little more pleasing to our eyes, please let us know what you think.

There are a few other nice adjustments in this release to alleviate some nuisances in the user interface and make for a nicer experience.

Changes in this version:

• Fixes deprecated button styles in macOS 14 Sonoma
  • Refreshes the Customize Labels view
  • Magnify now allows larger text to wrap
  • Fixes slowness when pasting large amounts of text into a Password field
  • Password warnings only show one word match result when multiples of the same word match exist in the password
  • Field editor now automatically adjusts the view when typing/pasting near the bottom to make editing text fully visible

Enabling Beta Updates

To enable Beta updates in Codebook for macOS, you must be using the Direct Download distribution, and not the Mac App Store version.

Launch Codebook for macOS, log in, then click on Codebook in the menu bar and select “Preferences…” (or, “Settings…” if you are on macOS Ventura). When the Preferences window appears, click on the Updates tab, set the Release Channel setting to Beta, and then click on the Check For Updates button.