Codebook hangs on app preferences (Mac OS X)

Attempting to access application preferences from the Codebook menu results in a hang with a spinning beachball.

Everything else seems to be working, but this is wrong.

Delete and re-install, then restore? Or is there something less drastic to try?

Codebook version 3.7.6 (634)
Mac OS X El Capitan version 10.11.6

@jtclayton

Thanks for your support of Codebook and posting the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the issue you’re experiencing when attempting access Codebook preferences.

Delete and re-install

I think this is a good first step to troubleshooting.

then restore? Or is there something less drastic to try?

Your Codebook data is stored separately from the application installation, so deleting Codebook and re-installing should leave your data in place and you shouldn’t have to perform a restore operation.

If you’re still experiencing the issue after re-installation could you open the Console app via Applications > Utilities > Console and search for “Codebook” to see if there are any messages/errors related to Codebook in there after attempting to access preferences?

Thanks!

It was a while until a good chance offered to perform this chore. I moved the Codebook app package to the Trash, and emptied the Trash. Then I re-installed from the Apple App Store, and everything was as before.

Including the crashing behavior. This time, instead of force-quitting Codebook I let it stew until it aborted without my assistance.

Then I copied out today’s Console messages relating to Codebook with the UUIDs obscured.

Codebook-console-diagnostic-messages.txt.zip (1.1 KB)

I also saved the contents of the crash report that went to Apple.

Seems like whatever broke doesn’t live inside the Codebook package…

@jtclayton

Thanks for trying the reinstallation and sorry to hear that it didn’t help at all. I think I may have an idea of what’s going on and how to fix it.

Would you be willing to try a beta version of Codebook for macOS to see if it resolves the issue on your end?

Let me know. Thanks!

Oh, absolutely — let’s give it a whirl and see.