Feature Request: Assigned access upon death

So much of our lives are carried around in wallets. How to assign access when we die is a valid concern. I would like to request some mechanism that allows you to assign 1 or more designated email accounts (or SMS numbers) to gain access to my Codebook vault upon my death.

To be able to assign email accounts that if a request is received from those accounts, a deadman timer begins. If I don’t respond within a designated period of time, credentials are returned for access to my account to that person(s). Notification could be in the form of emails or texts received daily until the timer expires, allowing you cancel, but also frequently in case you miss the notification.

1 Like

Hey @TheMadCow

Thank you for your support of Codebook and for posting to the discussion forum with this feature request.

At the time we don’t host any of your Codebook data or store your Codebook Master Password/Sync Key on any of our servers, so it wouldn’t be possible for us to provide access to your vault to another users upon your death.

I have a couple of suggestions on some ways you could provide access to a designated person depending on which sync method you’re using and where your data is currently stored:

Printout a backup copy of your Sync Key QR Code

If you’re syncing to a cloud service, you can printout a backup copy of your Codebook Sync Key QR Code, write down your Codebook Master Password on it, and write down your Google Drive/Dropbox credentials. Store this piece of paper in a safe/secure location. Whoever would be recovering it, would just need to install Codebook, import your backup Sync Key, and link your Google Drive/Dropbox account to sync and recover your Codebook data.

Make a copy of your encrypted Codebook database and store it on a flash drive

You can make a copy of your encrypted Codebook database and store it on a flash drive. Then write down your Codebook Master Password on a piece of paper and store it next to the flash drive (in a safe or safe deposit box).

Your encrypted Codebook database is located at these locations on each platform:

1. Windows: %APPDATA%\Zetetic LLC (entire Strip folder)
  2. macOS: ~/Library/Group Containers/PD7G6HRMGV.net.zetetic.STRIP/Strip (default.strip package)
  3. iOS: you can export your encrypted Codebook database via [More] > Settings > Database Info > Long press on Permanent Storage row
  4. Android: you can export your encrypted Codebook database via Settings > Database Info > Long press on Permanent Storage row

Print out a hard copy of your Codebook data

You can export your encrypted Codebook data to a CSV or TXT file from the desktop applications which you can then printout a hard copy of. There are instructions for doing that here: Codebook Help - Export

We do have longer term plans to host and automatic sync service (optional) which would potentially allow us to consider your feature request and implement some type of “alternate recovery person”. I’ll add your suggestion to our internal tracking list to discuss.

1 Like

I think, that printing of sync key or database entries in format txt or similar is not a good idea for security.
I use Apples iCloud and there I can define a person to get access to my iCloud data in case of death by presenting documents to Apple. So I store the important informations there.

1 Like