Feature Request: Password expiration dates with warnings

Codebook (nee S.T.R.I.P.) has become invaluable to me at work, as I have numerous websites and databases that I access and have separate Usernames and Passwords for. The problem has become that each of these sites have different, staggered expiration dates - i.e., one password may be valid for 60 days and another for 90, and so on. When you add in the fact that these are at all different times of the month, it becomes very complicated to track them all.

I see the field type “Expiration date” in the list, but it has no discernable function as yet - it would be awesome if this field, when used, could trigger an expiration warning (a week or some other user-defined period) in advance of the date. This would be invaluable in preventing inadvertent lockout from databases or websites due to expired passwords!

I am sure there are other users facing the same challenge - any other ideas out there in this regard?

Hi @newt

Thanks for using Codebook and posting with this feature request.

The problem has become that each of these sites have different, staggered expiration dates - i.e., one password may be valid for 60 days and another for 90, and so on. When you add in the fact that these are at all different times of the month, it becomes very complicated to track them all.

We agree that there is a definite use case for expiration dates on passwords. As you mention it can be hard to track all the different validation periods when they are staggered.

I see the field type “Expiration date” in the list, but it has no discernable function as yet - it would be awesome if this field, when used, could trigger an expiration warning (a week or some other user-defined period) in advance of the date. This would be invaluable in preventing inadvertent lockout from databases or websites due to expired passwords!

The “Expiration date” label is designed to be used for credit card information, but I think the general idea here is pretty good. When you create a password, you can optionally set a validity period and possibly have some type of alert/reminder at a user pre-defined period before the validity will expire (similar to reminders when setting up events in Google Calendar for example – 1 day/week/month before).

We have discussed this internally as well and it is something we’re interested in adding. That being said, our focus has been on other improvements currently so I can’t confirm when (or if) this will implemented at this time.

Which platform(s) do you use? In Codebook for Mac there is a “History” view which shows your entries that haven’t been updated for 30/60/180 days, this may prove useful in the mean time.

Cheers,
Micah

Thank you for your quick reply, Micah!

I currently use Codebook (primarily) on my iOS devices (iPhone 6sPlus & iPad Air), but also use it on my personal Win10 laptop. It’s perfect on my portable devices for use at work, but as I mentioned, having some kind of ‘tickler’ that would pop up on opening the app would not just be a great convenience - I think it would make Codebook about the ONLY password management system with such a feature!

The reminder idea is a good work-around, but not always easy when working in real-time, if you know what I mean…being able to set an expiration of 60/90 days (or whatever) would be huge for doing a quick change-and-go, faster workflow.

(I’ve been around since the Palm Pilot days, so I’ve watched this app grow over the years and continue to love using it!)

Thanks again for your responsiveness.

1 Like