I imported an export of a fairly big 1password database, to try to give Codebook a real test.
First question is about field labels. The field labels used by the export are apparently whatever is used by the webforms, from which 1password captures its data. Therefore, there’s a real myriad of field names or labels, like Password, pwd, passwd, pass1, and so on, just for password fields.
- How can I clean these up? I suppose one choice is to wipe the db and clean up the field names, but merging those in Excel sounds like a torturous process.
- How can I find data that has a specific field?
- If I convert all data that has a field like “pwd” to Password, if the field “pwd” becomes blank will it disappear? If not, how can I delete it from the list - File, Customize labels?
Second question is about Notes. When I imported, I got a bunch of notes in a category “Secure Note” and, they all have their notes stored in a notesPlain field. Is there a better way to import these so they go directly into Notes, with a proper Notes field? Those look a lot nicer.
Third question is on Icons. There appears to be no way to bulk set icons. Am I wrong? Now I’ve got many, many entries with a brown folder icon. How can I set it in bulk?
Also, fourth, a general observation: the import failed several times. I used the conversion tool, but, the complex data that had been exported into the 1pif file seemed to confuse it, because the exported csv simply did not work to import at all. Then I used Calc to clean up a bit, deleting any fields that were all blank. There were many of these, and, I found a bunch of oddly formatted fields, that somehow were not escaped and were munging things up, so I deleted those.
When I got the csv cleaned up, finally Codebook appeared to import, but it would crash partway through. The progress got further each time, and finally succeeded.
Now however, the performance of the app is pretty sluggish. For instance, when I am in looking at the Labels list, converting fields to Password and clicking the mask checkbox has a significant lag. Also when performing standard ops in the UI, like revealing the password, it skips a couple beats before revealing.
My Macbook pro is relatively new, purchased a few months ago, so I don’t think it’s that the machine is underpowered.
Please advise, thanks.