Restore, Overwrite Sync Options missing

Recently, a person in my family accidentally erased an important field while trying to edit an entry. Unfortunately, the program did not let him undo that action. When we tried to restore the database using sync, we discovered that Codebook no longer offers that option. If a sync had occurred, we would have lost that information.
In addition, the old Codebook/Strip would allow one to backup the database locally, but I no longer see that option, so I can’t find a backup to restore from.
Is there now a way to force a restore using sync or backup?

@Newton991

Thanks for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the accidental deletion.

Did this family member already sync after the deletion? If not, the restore/overwrite operations are still available within Codebook, they’re just hidden as they shouldn’t be necessary in most cases and they are much less efficient than standard sync as it requires exchanging your entire Codebook data.

There’s more information here on the different sync operations and how to enable them: Codebook Help - Sync Operations

If for example, your family member may have added other (unsynced) data before the accidental deletion, they may want to perform a “Merge” operation instead so that unsynced data isn’t lost.

I’d be happy to give further more specific instructions if I could collect some information from you:

1. What device(s) are being used for syncing with this same data? Do any of these devices have the accidentally deleted record?
  2. Which sync method is being used (Google Drive, Dropbox, Desktop WiFi)?

If you’d prefer to interface privately about this, please write into our support at support@zetetic.net

In addition, the old Codebook/Strip would allow one to backup the database locally, but I no longer see that option, so I can’t find a backup to restore from.

Yes, with the Codebook 4 release the Backups feature within Codebook has been removed.

There is no longer a Backups feature and view in Codebook for macOS and Windows. We recommend that any users relying on this feature look to other common commercial and open-source techniques for regularly making a backup copy of the local database file, strip.db .

The locations of the strip.db file is as follows:

Windows:

%APPDATA%\Zetetic LLC\Strip\strip.db

macOS:

~/Library/Group Containers/PD7G6HRMGV.net.zetetic.STRIP/Strip/strip.db