Search labels in Codebook

I have created a lot of labels myself (a lot in Dutch). Some labels have the same meaning, so I want to clean-up a lot of labels.
There is no way to do a search on labels.
I like to have a search routine (a filter?) for labels which shows the results of all entries with those labels, so that I can easily change the labels in the entries that were found.
Is that possible? Or can it be implemented.

Hi @Adri

While you can’t search for the label itself, you can merge labels from with the label editor on the desktop versions of Codebook. Would that work for you?

Hi @Adri

Thank you for using Codebook and posting. Following up on @developernotes suggestion:

Within the Codebook for Desktop application there is a merge labels feature which I think would be a good fit for this use case. You can read a bit more about the feature here: New Features and Changes in Codebook (under “Merge Label”)

So for example say you have two labels, one being eMail and another being E-mail, you could merge all the fields from one label into the other, so all the fields that were previously labeled eMail, would now be associated with the E-mail label.

This feature is only available in the Desktop applications, but we offer 14-day free trials of the desktop software located here: https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/#download

So the steps would be:

1. Download the Codebook for Desktop trial linked above.
  2. Sync your data over by following the steps here: Getting Started with Sync
  3. Take a Backup of your current database state under File → Backups → Backup.
  4. Merge any Labels that are duplicates.
  5. Examine your data and ensure that it looks correct.
  6. Sync your data back over to your other device.

If you’re already using Codebook on a Desktop platform you can skip steps 1,2,6.

Please let us know if you’re able to get your labels merged and if you have any questions along the way. Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

Hello,

thank you very much for your answer.

I did merge the labels in my desktop version of Codebook.

Stupid that I overlooked this possibility.

I have now a new problem. I could not export all items to Excel anymore.

I installed a new version of Codebook.

So I put back an update of the database.

When I try to export all items. I get an error, see attached jpeg.

I use Windows 7.

Regards Adri Kuiper

Hi @Adri

Glad to hear the merge labels feature helped.

Could you try running the Integrity Check under File → Integrity Check and let me know if it reports any issues?

If it reports/fixes any issues, could you try exporting afterwards and let me know if it succeeds this time?

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,
Micah

I tried the process discussed above. I didn’t find Backups under File, but did find under Database info. I performed a backup through the Database Info, then merged 4 sets of fields. The result was they were not merged. Any ideas?

Codebook for Windows 3.0.20.0

Regards
Ron

Hi @rueterd,

Sorry about that, the Backup location differs between Mac and Windows. I should have also mentioned the Windows location in my initial post (Under File → Database Info as you mentioned).

When you mentioned they weren’t merged, is the old label still present? or is the label of those fields now blank? What is the “Mode” of the labels you’re attempting to merge? Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

After further investigation, there was only one pair of labels that did not merge.

Email & E-Mail.

E-Mail mode is Plain Text and Email mode is Email Address. I assume that those two will not merge due to the difference in mode.

The other pairs of merge have merged and the merge from label was delete by the merge process.

Regards,

Ron Rueter

Everett, WA

“The exhilaration of flying is too keen,

the pleasure too great,

for it to be neglected as a sport."

• Orville Wright

@rueterd

Thanks for the further details. It should still merge alright with different modes (the resulting mode should be the one associated with the label you merged into).

Could you try a couple of things:

1. If you haven’t already, run an integrity check (found under File → Integrity Check), let me know if it reports any errors, and if you’re able to successfully merge the labels afterwards.

2. Create 2 new labels of the same mode as the ones you’re trying to merge (one plain text and one email address). Create a test entry and add one of each of these labels with some test values. Attempt to merge the new test labels and let me know if it’s successful.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

I’m out of town for a few days and don’t have access to pc. Will update when I return home.
Thanks for your response.

Ron

Ron,

No problem. We look forward to hearing the results when you return. Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

Micah,

I ran the integrity check and no errors found.

I then backed up the data base, then merged the two email e-mail labels. This time it worked. I must have done something wrong before.

All data seems to be in place and I don’t see anything missing.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,

Ron Rueter

Everett, WA

“The exhilaration of flying is too keen,

the pleasure too great,

for it to be neglected as a sport."

• Orville Wright

Hello @Ron_Rueter

Thank you for your follow up, we are happy to hear everything is working properly for you. Take care!