Auto Sync Option

Is there a reason for not having a cloud based “Auto Sync” feature? Or at least a way to see that the Code Book you are in is currently “Out of Sync” with the Cloud copy?

Have CB loaded on my work/home/cell/tablet… and where I add something is dependent on what device I’m using at the time… then I have to remember to sync all four. But if I forget and add something to another device… arrrrg. Turns into a Sync fest.

To be sure, the “Auto Sync” file would be different from a back up. But manually Syncing all the time is getting as annoying as an update every week… that then has to be run on all devices (4x for me), and why does the Sync options need to be re-selected every time there’s an update… can the previous selections be remembered (auto selected/ deselected)?

And not to be lost, thank you for a great job and an awesome product. Truly a life saver!

-RND

Hi @rnd thanks for posting!

Is there a reason for not having a cloud based “Auto Sync” feature? Or at least a way to see that the Code Book you are in is currently “Out of Sync” with the Cloud copy?

Yes, automatic background sync is not ready yet, but we’re working hard on it and have put a lot of time into it already.

Have CB loaded on my work/home/cell/tablet… and where I add something is dependent on what device I’m using at the time… then I have to remember to sync all four. But if I forget and add something to another device… arrrrg. Turns into a Sync fest.

We hear you, that’s admittedly a nuisance and one of the reasons we’re working on auto sync.

To be sure, the “Auto Sync” file would be different from a back up. But manually Syncing all the time is getting as annoying as an update every week… that then has to be run on all devices (4x for me), and why does the Sync options need to be re-selected every time there’s an update… can the previous selections be remembered (auto selected/ deselected)?

Can you go into this a little bit further? I’m not sure I follow. If you had previously selected Dropbox as your sync type, for instance, it should still be set to that after software upgrades. If instead you mean the selected Operation (one of either Sync, Overwrite, or Restore), we always default to the Sync option to prevent unwanted mayhem. So, perhaps we have a bug here?

And not to be lost, thank you for a great job and an awesome product. Truly a life saver!

Thank you for the feedback and kind words, we really appreciate it! When auto sync is ready we’ll be sure to post about it here in Discuss as well as on our mailing list (scroll to the bottom of this page and click Subscribe to join), but if you’d like an early look at it we are starting to build a list of beta testers. Would you like to beta test auto sync when it’s ready?

Can you go into this a little bit further? I’m not sure I follow. If you had previously selected Dropbox as your sync type, for instance, it should still be set to that after software upgrades. If instead you mean the selected Operation (one of either Sync, Overwrite, or Restore), we always default to the Sync option to prevent unwanted mayhem. So, perhaps we have a bug here?

Apologize for not being clearer. Yes, functionally CB remembers settings and works fine after update however… When an update comes in, each time to start the update,have to deselect the options for adding WiFi, Dropbox, local, etc… when setup to use The GooglieDrive only. Seems CB should already know my preferences and skip this step or have the radio buttons already selected/deselected. VERY MINOR ANNOYANCE but still…

Again, thank you for the hard work. Look forward to Auto Sync (or even just a checksum triggered notification that CB is currently out of Sync with the Cloud version… red banner across the top maybe :wink:

-RND

Hi @rnd,

The current Codebook for Windows installer does not persist the user selected synchronization options across installs. This is something we plan to address in a future release. Thank you for your patience!