Codebook for macOS 3.2.0 Released

We have a minor feature update out today with some quite useful improvements.

Changes in this version:

• Adds new Run Default Action feature to Secret Agent (keyboard shortcut command+R)
  • Adds new Merge Label feature to Customize Labels
  • Displays number of fields to be deleted on Remove Label confirmation prompt in Customize Labels
  • Remove Label will no longer prompt for confirmation if there are no fields assigned to the label being deleted
  • Updates Dropbox sync to use API version 2
  • macOS Sierra compatibility patch for Secret Agent

Run Default Action can be invoked with the Play button when viewing an Entry in Secret Agent (or command+R). First, it looks to see if you have a Secret Agent Action field on the entry and runs that. If not, it attempts to run a default action using the username/email and password fields on the record to insert in the active application.

Download: Mac App Store

If your purchased Codebook (or STRIP) in the Mac App Store:

• Visit this link on your Mac
  • Click the “View in the Mac App Store” button
  • It will launch the App Store app and display the Codebook page
  • Click the Install or Update button below the Codebook icon
  • When installation completes click the Open button, or launch Codebook from Applications or Spotlight

Download: Direct from Zetetic

If you purchased Codebook directly from Zetetic (outside the Mac App Store):

• Download the update
  • If Codebook is still running, quit the app
  • Unzip the file, drag Codebook to your Mac’s Applications folder
  • If prompted whether to replace the existing version, choose Replace
  • Launch Codebook from Applications or Spotlight

Support

If you are having trouble updating or have any questions please get in touch with us at support@zetetic.net, or create a new post here on Discuss.

1 Like

Sweet. I wanted to be able to merge labels after importing a bunch of data and having a messy labels list. Thanks!

I’ll try the run default today!

1 Like

Yeah, the run default works a treat. Thanks!

By the way, I find if I use commands that I can reduce my troubles. Sometimes, without those, it tries to go too fast, and so adding a second delay fixes it. Maybe the length of the password for instance just takes time, and the next step happens before that gets completed inserted. Anyway, FYI.

1 Like

Hi @rickcogley

Sorry for the delayed response on this. Thanks for confirming the new features are working well for you, glad they’re useful!

Appreciate the additional feedback of adding in the wait commands for Secret Agent Actions to get them to work more consistently. We’ll be sure to recommend this to any users who are still experiencing intermittent issues.

Cheers,
Micah

Alas!, the Run Default is a bit inconsistent, on both latest Chrome (Version 55.0.2883.95 (64-bit)) and latest Safari (Version 10.0.3 (12602.4.8)). This is before and after I upgraded to macOS 10.12.3.

Note, I am using Japanese keyboards, but I always have my keyboard set to “US English” as you recommended before.

Safari -

If I manually use SA to enter the fields one by one, it mostly works.

Selecting the quick entry mostly never works, and always enters an incorrect password. I have to manually select the password in SA again and enter it.

Using the Run Default (with only one quick entry) cmd-R does not work at all. There’s no response from Safari when I open SA, search an entry, and do cmd-R.

When I click the arrow, that works: it acts like I selected the quick entry manually. But I really want to keep it keyboard only.

Chrome -

Manual one by one entry works.

Selecting the quick entry mostly works, and setting timings helped make this more consistent.

Hitting cmd-R works at least the first time.

I have a site that logs out in 8 hrs, and so I often have multiple tabs to log back into. Once I log into one, the others will let me select history, but, in some cases that does not work. There are one or two instances where I just need to re-enter the credentials to get back to where I was, and the point to keeping the tabs open is to do that.

Therefore, I have tested a bit of an edge case, I think, where I need to repeatedly bring up SA and do cmd-R to auto enter the quick entry on that site. But, if I try doing the cmd-R a second time, it does not work. I need to left-arrow back, and reselect the entry, in order to have the cmd-R work the second time.

Selecting the quick entry works consistently.

Ok, I hope that helps a little. I’m using Codebook Version 3.2.0 (426).

Hi @rickcogley

Thanks for the additional feedback and sorry Secret Agent doesn’t consistently work for you. While I wasn’t able to reproduce these issues, I have a few follow up questions which may assist me in trying to reproduce them:

Safari -

If I manually use SA to enter the fields one by one, it mostly works.

When it doesn’t work, does nothing get entered, or the incorrect mixed case related to the Sierra 10.12.2 bug?

Selecting the quick entry mostly never works, and always enters an incorrect password. I have to manually select the password in SA again and enter it.

You’re doing this by searching for the entry, arrowing down to the Secret Agent Action field, and then hitting enter? (I’m assuming that’s the case, but just wanted to confirm I was doing everything the same as you).

Using the Run Default (with only one quick entry) cmd-R does not work at all. There’s no response from Safari when I open SA, search an entry, and do cmd-R.

One thing I’d like mention about the Default Action keyboard command (Cmd-R) – it won’t fire until you release the Cmd key (This was necessary because initially it was entering the automated keystrokes as if the command key was still depressed, so strange behavior would occur). I’m assuming you’re already releasing the Cmd key though as you said it mostly works for you in chrome.

When I click the arrow, that works: it acts like I selected the quick entry manually. But I really want to keep it keyboard only.

Definitely, Secret Agent is intended to be used mainly with keystrokes rather than mouse clicks. Although we wanted to accommodate users of both factions.

Within Chrome it sees like most of the functions are working for you, with the exception of repeated use of Default Action.

We’ll continue to investigate on our end to see if we’re able to reproduce it and locate what could be causing the issue.

It’s also unfortunate that the 10.12.3 update didn’t resolve the mixed case Sierra bug, but we’re optimistic that it will be fixed in the future.

Cheers,
Micah