Crash on macOS Catalina when codebook locks

I have Codebook 4.3.3 on my macOS Catalina 10.15.7. With one of the recent updates to Codebook in the past month or so I’m noticing that Codebook will crash when it auto-locks from not being used (I have mine set to the default of after 5 minutes). Apple gives me the opportunity to send the crash report to them.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Ensure Codebook is not running
  2. Use Secret Agent key command to launch Codebook
  • NOTE: I could not reproduce this by manually opening Codebook and then using Secret Agent; it only reproduced when using Secret Agent to launch Codebook if it’s not already running.
  1. Select a password (or other field) for Codebook to auto-type into someplace.
  2. Wait for timeout (5 min default).
  3. Codebook will crash instead of lock.

I have the crash report available. How should I submit it for review?

Hey @cspeckrun

Thanks very much for using Codebook and posting to this discussion forum with the crash report and steps to reproduce it. We are aware of the issue and have a fix prepared that we’re testing internally. We should be releasing a beta version of Codebook shortly which includes a fix for this issue. I’ll post back to this thread when the beta build is ready to have you try it out and confirm it’s resolved on your end.

In the mean time to workaround this issue you can either:

1. Launch the main Codebook app and login prior to triggering Secret Agent
  2. Set the AutoLock timer for a longer period of time

Thanks!

@cspeckrun

I’ve just published the beta build which includes a fix for this issue. Here are the steps to access it if you’re using a Codebook build distributed by Zetetic (as opposed to through the Mac App Store):

1. Launch Codebook and login.
  2. Navigate to Codebook menu > Preferences > Updates Tab
  3. Set the Release Channel to beta and click the Check For Updates button.
  4. A new update window should appear for the 4.3.4 (882) build, click the Download button to download the package installer and then run it to install.
  5. Quit and Relaunch Codebook once it installs.

If you’re using the Mac App Store distribution of Codebook, please reach out to our support at support@zetetic.net

Let me know if you’re able to receive the beta and if it properly resolves the crash on your end.

Wow that was fast! I installed the beta and ran through my reproduction steps and Codebook auto-locked instead of crashing. Thanks!

@cspeckrun

Excellent. Glad the beta resolved the issue for you as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to write up the report and please feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions, issues, or feedback.

Have a Happy Holiday!