Multiple accounts, one device

Hi
I use wifi sync to keep 2 iOS devices synced with a Mac laptop. I’ve added another user account to the Mac.

Is it safe to sync an iOS device with CodeBook on the new user account - CodeBook sees it as the same device as the main account.

Is there a danger of data loss? Will the main user account still sync fully any changes pushed to the new user account on the Mac?

thanks

Hi @anesbitt

Thank you for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum with this question.

Is it safe to sync an iOS device with CodeBook on the new user account - CodeBook sees it as the same device as the main account.

Yes. Even though the Codebook interface shows the Computer name as the same, it will be syncing with the user account which is currently active and has Codebook open and unlocked.

Each user account on macOS has a separate location for their encrypted Codebook data. When Codebook syncs over WiFi, Codebook for macOS will exchange data with the currently active/open Codebook.

Is there a danger of data loss?

No there should be no danger of data loss as the separate user account will be closed/locked and inaccessible to Codebook for iOS. The only risk I could see is if you accidentally sync with the wrong macOS user account unintentionally (i.e. sync the separate iOS device with the previous macOS user account). One way to avoid this possibility of accidentally syncing with the wrong installation/user account is to use a different sync key on the new user accounts Codebook account (if you aren’t already). This way if you attempt to sync the new iOS device with the old Codebook macOS user account you will receive an error (because the sync keys don’t match).

Will the main user account still sync fully any changes pushed to the new user account on the Mac?

I’m not sure if I understand this question. The new macOS user account would contain completely separate data from your old macOS user account. Are you intending to create a new macOS user account and sync all your existing Codebook data to the new user account’s Codebook installation?

If you’d like to sync all your existing Codebook data to a new user account on macOS, you’ll want to use the same Sync Key as you use on your other devices on the new macOS user account. If you want to sync completely different data to the new macOS user account you’ll want to establish a new (separate) Sync Key on the new macOS user account and share it with any devices you’re syncing the new macOS user account with.

Let me know if this clarifies the usage of Codebook on separate macOS user accounts and if you have any follow up questions. Thanks!

1 Like