Reinstalling Codebook

My computer crashed and reinstalling a new Windows10. I have installed Codebook 4.4.9.0.
I have set codebook to sync with a local folder that contains my backup password files. Log-in password was the same as before and Sync Key was entered. When I do the “Sync with Local Folder”, I got the error “The Sync Key stored in this instance of Codebook is unable to open the changesets database”.
I am at lost in fixing this problem. I need help please.

Hey @Joshcodecad

Thank you for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble.

Was your Sync Key backup a Sync Key QR Code the you scanned with the device camera or a Sync Key Word list that you wrote down? If your backup is your Sync Key Word list, can you display your Sync Key Word list on your device by following these steps: Codebook Help - Sync Key Word List and compare it to the backup Sync Key Word list you have written down.

Do you use Codebook on any other devices and is your Sync Key present on those devices?

I have a Sync Key Word list which is different from freshly installed Codebook. I also have saved a QR code from a working setup before. I am only using cookbook in one device which is my laptop. I was wondering how do I use the QR code to check if it will work? Thanks.

You’ll need to import the Sync Key that you backed up from your old device into your new device to be able to sync with a previously synced local folder.

You mentioned that your Sync Key word list on your new device is different on your freshly installed Codebook than the backup, it sounds like you might have create a new (mismatched) Sync Key on your new installation rather than importing your Sync Key from your backup word list or QR Code.

So first you’ll want to delete your newly created (mismatched) Sync Key. You can do this from Sync menu > Delete Sync Key.

If your computer has a camera, you can scan the Sync Key QR Code from within Codebook by following the instructions here: Codebook Help - Setup Your Sync Key (under “If you’ve already created a Sync Key…”)

Let me know if that does the trick. Thanks!

I am so very thankful for your help! The QR code worked and I was able to load the database.
You’re a life saver!!! Thanks again!

@Joshcodecad

Excellent news. Glad I could help.

Please feel free to reach out again if there’s anything else we can do to assist (either here on the discussion forums or via private support at support@zetetic.net).

Have a nice day!