Same Entry in multple Categories?

Does Codebook allow the same Entry to reside in multiple Categories?

I’m used to a Tag structure of organizing where one “entry” can be assigned multiple tags… and the Entry displays all the tags assigned to it.

Thanks.

Hi @gvmelbrty

Thanks for your support of Codebook and for posting to the discussion forum. I’ll be happy to help. Each Codebook Entry can only reside in a single category. That being said, one recommendation is that you can add a custom field named “Tag” and then add multiple Tag fields to a single entry and use the search feature to locate the desired entry by searching for the Tag.

There’s some additional information on these documentation pages:

Creating Custom Labels: Codebook Help - Customize Labels

Searching in Codebook: Codebook Help - Searching in Codebook

Please let me know if this answers your question and if the suggestions is helpful. Thanks!

Ok… yeah… that will sorta work…

Couple of negatives… There would be no visual list of “tags” to choose from, so one would have to keep some sort of list to maintain uniform organization… Manually entry of tags increases spelling errors.

I suppose I could make a template entry in Codebook that contains all the “tags” that are in use and then use that to copy/paste into new entries.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I’ve doing precisely this for over a decade. I keep a note entry in which I list all the tags I use. Works well, and allows search to pull up entries that cross my categories.