Secret Agent M1 MacBook Air Issue

When I select a field in the Secret Agent on my M1 MacBook Air, I see a gear icon momentarily show in the top menu bar, but the selected text isn’t pasted into the active input field. I am running an App Store version of CodeBook v4.3.3. (877) and have deleted and re-installed the app to no change in behavior. I am running Big Sur 11.0.1.

Hey @J_Busch

Thank you for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with Secret Agent not inserting values. This sounds like it might be an issue where you need to re-grant your Automation and Accessibility System Privacy settings for Codebook. You can find those settings under: Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy Tab.

There are screenshots and further instructions here: Troubleshooting Codebook Secret Agent

Let me know if that allows you to insert using Secret Agent again. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply. I thought the same thing and had previously turned on both Accessibility and Automation / System Events to no effect. I think it may be something with either using Big Sur and/or using an M1 MacBook.

Respectfully,
Jonathan Busch

@J_Busch

Even if Accessibility and Automation are already checked, it may be necessary to un-check/re-check them. Have you done that already as well?

This got it to work. When I went to accessibility to double check that I un-check/re-check the item it wouldn’t let me uncheck it. So I deleted it and then re-added the application. I then un-checked/re-checked. I also un-checked/re-checked system as well. The system agent now seems to be working, thank you.

@J_Busch

Excellent news. Glad I could help, and thanks for outlining the steps which worked for you so anyone else looking at this topic with a similar issue can try that as well.

Please feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions, issues, or feedback.

Have a happy and healthy New Year!