Touch ID Error: The item requested wasn't found in keychain

I get this error message every time I log in to CD on my Mac. Anyone know how to get rid of it?

1 Like

Hi @mweingroff, thanks so much for using Codebook and sorry for the trouble!

To fix this issue:

• Click on Codebook in the menu bar and select Preferences
  • Click on the tab named Locking
  • Uncheck the setting named “Enable Touch ID Login”
  • Then re-check that same setting (if you do wish to continue using Touch ID for login)

Screen Shot 2022-12-13 at 8.37.23 AM

A little about this error, and some follow up questions in case the above doesn’t do the trick:

This error can happen when a user enables Touch ID Login in Codebook for macOS, and then subsequently changes their Touch ID settings in the macOS System Preferences (now called System Settings on macOS Ventura), for instance by adding a new authorized fingerprint. In the case of adding or removing fingerprints, this will invalidate Touch ID Login in macOS. We have it set up that way so no one who has access to your unlocked Mac can add their fingerprint and subsequently gain access to your Codebook passwords.

Does that sounds like it might have been the case here, a change in the Touch ID settings in the system Preferences?

If not, are you using for Codebook for the first time in a while, having used it previously?

Did you migrate your data to a new Mac recently?

Please let us know if that helps!

Regards,
Billy Gray

Yes! Thanks for your help.