Codebook v4.4.1 (beta) not starting on machine bootup

Not sure when this started. Things have been hectic lately. I have been noticing that when I restart or shut down and reboot the machine I have to manually start Codebook. I know I am old but tell me that is supposed to start on bootup. This is Windows 11 Beta and maybe that is the problem.

Lew

Hello @lwetzel

Would you login and check the Secret Agent preference tab to make sure the option to run at Windows login is checked?

Hello Nick,

Yes it is checked.

Lew

Hi @lwetzel

After you have booted your Windows machine, do you see the Codebook icon in the systray by chance?

No I don’t. Also something else I have noticed. When I invoke the Secret Agent on a web site (many times and I can’t affirm always) it does not gain focus and I end up typing my Codebook password in to the login id field on the web site.

Lew

Hi @lwetzel

Did you just begin to notice this behavior with the installation of Windows 11 beta, or did it occur prior to that?

I think it showed up after the next to last update.

Nick,

Been rather busy lately and had to take down my computer for construction and now in process of getting back to normal. Actually I am not sure when it started. It definitely was after installing the Beta. I have the DEV on a second machine and it is not affected and Beta on a third machine and it is not affected. So it is just one out of 3 machines.

Hi @lwetzel

Just for clarification, can you confirm what versions of Codebook for Windows you have installed in conjunction with the version of Windows that machine is running and which is showing an issue with running Codebook for Windows at login?

Best I can decipher. Will refer to Machine A, B, and C.

Machine A (Beta channel)

Codebook version 4.4.1.0

Window 21H2 (OS Build 22000.160) as shown on About Windows

Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.160 (co_release) in windows update history

Machine B (Dev channel)

Codebook version 4.4.1.0

Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 (co_release) in windows update history

Machine C (Beta channel)

Codebook version 4.4.1.0

Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.160 (co_release) in windows update history

Hope that helps all are showing the same updates otherwise in Windows Update History

Hi @lwetzel

Thank you for the additional information. Is it correct that you are only experiencing the issue where Codebook for Windows is not running at login on a single Windows 11 beta machine listed above, whereas the other Windows 11 beta machines are behaving correctly?

Hi Nick,

You are correct. Only one machine is doing this. Odd I think.

Lew

Hi @lwetzel

On the machine that is misbehaving, would you login to Codebook for Windows, open the preferences window, select the Secret Agent tab, uncheck the Run Secret Agent at Windows Login box, click Save, then open the preferences window again, select the Secret Agent tab, check the Run Secret Agent at Windows Login box, and click Save again. Would you then reboot to see if the behavior is changed?

Hey Nick,

Sorry to say it is the same. Had to start it manually.

Do you think it might be possible to reinstall or do you think that would make a difference?

Hi @lwetzel

It is certainly worth trying a reinstall. Also, would you mind viewing the Event Viewer to see if any Application entries are present for Codebook?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/how-to-view-windows-application-errors-using-window-event-viewer-815567702.html

There is a

Warning

Application ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Zetetic LLC\Codebook\Codebook.exe’ (pid 3016) cannot be restarted - Application SID does not match Conductor SID…

I am pursuing something at the moment. It might no be putting the link in the startup directory.

C:\Users(myUserName)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Not sure if that is it or not will let you know.

I think that was the problem. I placed a link there and it came loaded at startup. I then turned it off and it deleted the link from that directory. I turned it back on and it placed it back in that directory. Rebooting one more time to ensure it works.

That was it. Don’t know why but it is fixed now. Thanks for your help now with the other problem I mentioned. When I invoke the Security agent on a login screen the first time codebook will invariably not take the focus and I end up typing my Codebook password into the Username/ID field of the website. That is only happening on the same machine that was not loading Codebook.

Hi @lwetzel

We are happy to hear the startup link is working again on your Windows 11 beta machine. With regard to the focus issue, do you receive a notification that Codebook was not able to set the foreground window focus when this occurs?