Desktop version of Codebook will not sync

@sgrune

Thanks for the response and sorry if there was a misunderstanding. My previous question about changes on the Desktop side was directed at myronm (I did see from your previous respond to @developernotes that you have changes pending on both sides).

While we’re unable to reproduce this issue using any of our databases, I have seen the crash reports come in from the most recent beta versions. Unfortunately they don’t lead us to a definitive conclusion on what the cause could be without further investigating the state of your database.

I understand most of this isn’t possible at the moment because you’re traveling, but here are some options for when you return:

If you’d like to get back up and running right away:

1. Login to Codebook for Windows. Select File → “Export All” and name the file: windows-export.csv
  2. Login to Codebook for iOS. Perform an Overwrite operation to get your data from there onto Dropbox.
  3. Login to Codebook for Windows, perform a restore operation to get the data you just overwrote from your iPhone onto your Windows Computer (this will replace the local data on your Windows machine, but we just exported it to CSV).
  4. Select File → “Export All” and name the file ios-export.csv
  5. Reset your database on Windows by following these instructions: Resetting Codebook under “For Windows”.
  6. Re-open Codebook for Windows, at this point you should be prompted to setup a new database.
  7. Go to File → Import and select the windows-export.csv file from earlier. At this point you should have all records that were on your Windows machine.
  8. Now we’d like to get the records from your iOS database onto your Windows machine as well, there are a couple of options here:
  • Import the ios-export.csv the same way as we did in step 7 (This will cause your records to duplicate and you’ll need to go through and delete the ones that are invalid).

• Visually compare the CSV records from ios-export.csv to what’s currently in your Codebook database to determine what the differences are and add those.

• Use a diff tool, like Meld, kdiff or WinMerge to compare the two csv’s (windows-export.csv and ios-export.csv) which will highlight the differences. At which point you can delete all rows that aren’t different in ios-export.csv (Except the header row - Entry…Category…Password) and do File → Import of this adjusted csv.

1. At this point once you’ve verified all your data is correct on Windows, perform on overwrite operation from your Windows computer to Dropbox. Then perform a restore operation from your iPhone to Dropbox.

Alternatively if you’d like to continue troubleshooting this issue, I have a few additional questions:

1. If you perform an overwrite operation from your iPhone to Dropbox, then change a record on your iPhone and perform a regular sync operation, does it work properly? Does the same thing work separately for Codebook for Windows (perform an overwrite to Dropbox, change a record, perform a sync from Windows to Dropbox)?
  2. Would you be willing to use a script from us to redact all the sensitive data from your database and send us the result?
  3. Are you in a location that usually uses 24 hour time?
  4. What languages do you have your devices set to?

If you’d prefer to respond in a private setting, feel free to pm me or write us at support@zetetic.net

Thank you for your patience as we help work through this issue.

Cheers,
Micah