Feature request: Create new entry using template

When adding a new entry, it always starts out blank with only the title. It can be tedious when creating multiple items that follow the same general format, like title, URL, username, password.

Requesting a feature where a new entry can be created using a template, where a list of fields is already defined, along with the icon, etc… and then data can be filled in easily. One could create templates for things like “web site”, “bank account”, etc… that all might have common fields.

Hi @orev, thanks very much for using Codebook and sending us your feedback, we really appreciate it.

When adding a new entry, it always starts out blank with only the title. It can be tedious when creating multiple items that follow the same general format, like title, URL, username, password.

We agree! It is a little tedious to set up new records and the interface as-is tends to hide some of the functionality available. We have some new designs in the works to address these issues in ways that I think you’ll find pretty satisfying, though I don’t have a timeline just yet.

Requesting a feature where a new entry can be created using a template, where a list of fields is already defined, along with the icon, etc… and then data can be filled in easily. One could create templates for things like “web site”, “bank account”, etc… that all might have common fields.

Currently we are thinking of Templates as a feature on its own that is separate from the issue of making the default new entry experience better (e.g. user should not have to set up templates to get a better new experience). That said, we have been getting the request for this feature more lately and may decide to move it back into our active plans.

In the meantime there’s a work-around, even if it seems… cheap?

1. Create a new category and call it Templates
  2. Create a new entry that will serve as a template, let’s call it Web Site
  3. Select the desired icon, and add the various empty fields you’d like the template to have, e.g. Email, Password, Website/URL, and drag to rearrange them in the order you’d like
  4. Once you’re done editing the Web Site template entry and saved your changes you can use it to create new entries
  5. Select any entry in the interface and use the keyboard shortcut command+C (or Edit menu > Copy)
  6. Select any category in the interface and use the keyboard shortcut command+V (or Edit menu > Paste) and you’ll see your template entry copied exactly, ready to be filled out

Again, that’s not really templates as a feature, but it may be useful to you for the time being.

Cheers!

1 Like

This is what I discovered and use for my “templates. It’s acceptable for the time being.