Password problem

With an upgrade to my desk top, the program will no longer accept my master password. the IOS version still accepts this password, and contains all of the passwords I need. How do I correct this so that I can sync my IOS to the desktop

Hi @legarrett

Thank you for your support of Codebook and for posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble. I have a few questions and some preliminary suggestions:

Questions:

1. What desktop platform is this occurring on (Windows or Mac)?
  2. Do you receive an invalid password message on the login screen when you attempt to enter your Codebook Master Password? Or does something else occur (i.e. crash, separate error message)?

Suggestions:

1. First I’d recommend unmasking the Codebook Master Password field on the login screen of Codebook for Desktop to confirm that you’re indeed entering the password you are. Also make sure that your Caps Lock button is off when entering it.
  2. If that still doesn’t allow you to login to Codebook for Desktop, because you have all your Codebook data present on your iOS device, we can reset Codebook for Desktop (to clear out all the existing Codebook data there), set it up new, import your Sync Key and sync. Here’s the link for how to reset Codebook for Desktop: Resetting Codebook and here are the instructions for syncing it when setting it up fresh: Codebook Help - Syncing with a New Device

Please let me know the answers to those questions and the results of the suggestions. I’ll be happy to help if you have any questions or run into any issues along the way. Thanks!

This worked. The password reset would not allow me to use the old master password (too short) but with a different password was able to sync with drop box.

Another question How do I change the master password for the IOS?

Thanks again

@legarrett

Excellent news. Glad those instructions worked.

The password reset would not allow me to use the old master password (too short) but with a different password was able to sync with drop box.

Are you referring to the password warnings when setting up a new Master Password on Codebook for Windows? Those are just warnings to alert you the situation that your Codebook Master Password could potentially be weak, you should still be able to use a weak Codebook Master Password if you so desire (although we recommend against it). I’ve included a screenshot below of the Password Weakness Warnings I’m referring to on the Create a Master Password screen (pointing out the weakness warnings and that the Go button is still active as long as the Master Password and confirm password matches):

password_weakness_warnings

Another question How do I change the master password for the IOS?

You can change your Codebook Master Password in Codebook for iOS by going to [More] > Settings > Change Master Password. You will be prompted to enter your current Master Password, then a new Master Password, then confirm the new Master Password. As a side note, your Codebook Master Passwords no longer need to match between your devices since Codebook now uses the Sync Key to encrypt your synced data (so the Sync Key needs to match exactly). That being said, we still recommend keeping your Codebook Master Passwords the same between your devices for ease of remembering them for login.

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to assist. Thanks!