Sync becomes unavailable

I noticed the following behavior in Codebook for Windows lately. If I open Codebook, everything is fine. I can sync to Google drive as long as I have a connection to the internet. However, once I add or edit an entry, Sync becomes greyed out and cannot be selected. I have to exit Codebook and restart it in order to sync changes to Google Drive. I suspect this was not intentional…

Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB 64-bit.

Hi @pbabcock

Thank you for using Codebook and posting here, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with Google Drive sync.

The Codebook for Windows Sync Menu is disabled (grayed out) while you’re in edit mode. Does leaving edit mode by clicking the “Save” or “Cancel” button allow you to sync with Google Drive without having to restart Codebook?

Let me know if this helps, and if not what version of Codebook for Windows are you using? This can be found under Help → About.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

Remains gray and cannot select. Codebook v 3.0.21.0 (I respond to all the automatic update notices I get, so, hopefully, I’m up to the minute?)

Cheers!

@pbabcock

Thanks for the response. Yup 3.0.21.0 is the latest release so you’re all up to date.

I wonder if something’s gone awry with your installation.

If you don’t mind, would you please try uninstalling (through add/remove programs) and re-installing Codebook (I’ll send you a PM with the link to the updated installer) and let me know if the same issue is still happening? Your data will remain in place during the uninstall/reinstall as it’s stored separately from the application installation.

Cheers,
Micah

That was it. I uninstalled, took the additional step of rebooting, then reinstalled. It is now behaving as advertised.

Note, though, that it found a really, really old datafile on my pc upon reinstallation and loaded that (much to my surprise - thought I was more fastidious than that). It was trivial, however, to restore from Google Drive, Thanks for your help!

Cheers!

@pbabcock

Great! Glad to hear the re-installation worked to resolve the issue.

Please feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions, issues, or feedback. Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah