The first suggestion, based on first character entered, does not have that character as the first character of the suggestion. See example

Example:
A
Emai
Emit
Expr
Fid
Am
Fid
AAA
Air
Ame
Fid
Air
Ala
Amer
Amer

Exampled clarification.

Inputs are:
A
AM
AME
AMER

Hi @al92780,

Thank you for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum.

• Could I ask which Codebook application you are using (iOS, macOS, Windows, Android)?
  • To confirm, are you referring to the suggestion dropdown when you start typing in a field (for example Email)?
  • If the previous bullet point is a correct suggestion, what is the field type/mode (i.e. Email)?

iOS

Yes, searching for entry, ie american express

Al

@al92780

Thanks for the response. The search feature in Codebook searches both the entry name and field values of an Entry and then displays the results in alphabetical order based on Entry Name (with favorites at the top).

Could you view the entries that are showing up in the search results and confirm that they have a field value that contains the search term? For example, in your last search results you have an entry named 9278, does that entry have a field value which contains Amer ?

Let me know the results. Thanks!

It found the “amer” in an email address. How about “whole words” as a default, then anywhere?

----amer----@----.com

Al

@al92780

Thanks for the further details and confirming that the search term does appear in a field value result. We have recently added a Search Scope feature to the Desktop applications. This allows you to specify whether you’d like to just search within Entry Names for example (but defaults to Entry Names and Field Values). Does this sound like something that would satisfy your use case if we brought it over the mobile applications? I can’t commit to a timeframe, or even if it’s definitely going to be implemented – but would like to hear your feedback on it.

Yes. When in entry mode, it should sort by character position within entry. If “b” was first character entered then all entries with “b” as first character should sort first and the remaining characters in alphabetical order. I think now they are displayed in order found.

Al