Windows Sync problem with IPV6

Recently my ISP upgraded their service, and in addition to IPV4 service, we now also have IPV6 service.

I have a mixture of devices I run Codebook on:

  • Android 13
  • MacOS X
  • Windows 10

These devices are all using Google Drive Sync to synchronize with each other, and have been working well for years.

But after this ISP upgrade, I noticed that my Mac and Android devices continued to have no trouble with Sync, but Windows was unable to complete a sync. It would always freeze at the Uploading step, at 80%, and could not be cancelled, requiring me to kill the Codebook process.

At first I had no idea what the problem was, but at some point I remembered that IPV6 was now enabled on my network. As a test, I disabled IPV6 on my Windows system, and suddenly it has no problem completing a Sync using Google Drive.

I am wondering if this is a problem with Codebook, or with Google, or with Windows? I can’t reproduce the problem on my other devices which are using IPV6 without issues, including being able to Sync with Google Drive within Codebook.

Has this problem been seen in any of your tests? I really don’t want to leave a forward-looking protocol like IPV6 disabled forever on my Windows system, but for now it appears to be what I need to do.

Thanks for listening.

Hi @ZipFoxtaur

I’m sorry to hear about the issues with IPv6 when attempting to sync with Google Drive in Codebook for Windows. We are not aware of any specific issues regarding usage of IPv6 with Google Drive, however, we have previously recommended [1] disabling IPv6 when customers have faced local WiFi sync issues. This recommendation is based on results reported from customers.

Unfortunately, we do not have a IPv6 environment to perform local testing against for Google Drive. If you get the opportunity, would you mind enabling IPv6 again and attempting a sync with Dropbox instead to see if you face a similar issue?

  1. Troubleshooting WiFi Sync ↩︎

Thanks for the offer to help.

Since I am not a Dropbox user, I’d need to do some setup in order to test that method.

I suspect this is more of a Google problem or a Windows problem than a Codebook problem, as I also notice other “odd” network difficulties that are difficult to pin down when IPV6 is enabled.

What I will eventually do is get out Wireshark and trace the network activity while IPV6 is enabled, to see if I can discover where the problem lies.

In the meantime, I’ll be interested if this post gathers feedback from other users.

For now, disabling IPV6 is saving me some headache, but when I get more free time, I will enable IPV6 and do some more testing.