Adding Codebook to Allowed Apps for Windows Defender Firewall

Windows Defender Firewall Allowed Apps and Network Connection Classification

In general, Windows should prompt you to allow Codebook through your Windows Defender Firewall when first selecting WiFi sync. In this prompt there are check boxes at the bottom from which you can select whether to allow Codebook through network connections classified as Public or Private (or both). Sometimes we select the incorrect option when initially allowing Codebook through the Windows Defender Firewall, but not to fret, below are instructions on how to correct it:

When setting up a network connection on a Windows computer, you choose to classify it as Private or Public. If your mobile device is unable to “see” your computer or connect for syncing, it could be the firewall exception to allow Codebook to connect is mismatched with how your network is classified (i.e. you’re allowing Codebook through the firewall for Private networks, but your network is actually set up as Public).

You can view your network connection classification by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center (your classification will be dispalyed below your network name)

Network_Classification

You can view your Windows Defender Firewall allowed apps by going to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Defender Firewall > Allowed Apps (or searching for Windows Defender Firewall and selecting Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall).

Allow_Codebook

If there is a mismatch, you have a couple of options:

1. Change your network connection classification to match the Codebook exception rule (i.e. if your network is Public, and your Codebook exception is Private you can switch your network connection classification to Private). Microsoft has additional information about Public vs Private network classifications and how to change your network connection classification here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043043/windows-10-make-network-public-private

2. Change your firewall allowed apps rule to include your network classificiation (i.e. if your network connection classification is Public, you can check the box under Public next to Codebook). To change this setting click the “Change Settings” button on the Allowed Apps screen, then check the appropriate box in the Codebook row.