Problems Syncing to Windows 10 desktop from iPhone X

I’ve been having problems trying to sync my iPhone X with my Windows 10 desktop. Last error received was kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork 2 The operation couldn’t be completed. I have checked my Norton firewall rules and Codebook is allowed. I added the desktop IP address as well. nothing seems to work and I’ve been troubleshooting this for several hours now.

Hi @msgidd

Thank you for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the troubles. Troubleshooting the WiFi-based synchronization can be tricky due to various network configurations.

We’ve created a Troubleshooting post here: Troubleshooting WiFi Sync which outlines some of the most common issues.

I have checked my Norton firewall rules and Codebook is allowed

Unsure if Norton Firewall has something similar, but does your Firewall rule match up with the network classification as shown in this post linked in the troubleshooting page: Adding Codebook to Allowed Apps for Windows Defender Firewall

As mentioned in the Troubleshooting WiFi page, a couple of additional things to verify/check:

1. The iPhone is on the same WiFi network as your PC (rather than a cellular data network).
  2. The Firewall rule is set to allow Codebook and matches the network classification (as mentioned above). You may want to try temporarily disabling the firewall to confirm whether it’s causing the blockage or not.
  3. You’ve restarted your router + devices.
  4. We’ve also seen issues due to router configurations for example “Wireless isolation” as outlined in this post: Problem with Desktop WiFi Sync - Comcast Router - #2 by wgray

Let me know if any of those suggestions allow you to complete a WiFi sync. Thanks!

After I added the IP address for the PC to the App, it started the sync process but timed out each time.

I also just notices in the Codebook app selections on my PC I can’t select sync with desktop WiFi. The only selections available are Google Drive, Local folder and None,

@msgidd

I also just notices in the Codebook app selections on my PC I can’t select sync with desktop WiFi. The only selections available are Google Drive, Local folder and None,

This could be the root of the problem. To be able to sync via Desktop WiFi you need to have Desktop WiFi sync selected and have Codebook for Windows open and unlocked during the entire operation.

Most likely Desktop WiFi sync was inadvertently disabled when you initially installed Codebook. To rectify this, we can use add/remove programs to “modify” the Codebook installation and enable Desktop WiFi sync.

Here are the steps:

1. In Windows, quit and close Codebook if it’s open, then go to Add or Remove Programs in System Settings (can be found via the search bar).
  2. Scroll down Codebook and click on it, then click “Modify” this should bring up the Codebook for Windows installer again
  3. Once the installer comes up, click next then “Modify”. Within the screen following that, there is a list of different options to install when installing Codebook for Windows. Make sure “Local WiFi Synchronization” is set to “Will be Installed on Local Hard Drive”.
  4. Click next and then Install and the installation should complete.
  5. Launch Codebook for Windows again, go to File > Preferences and select Desktop WiFi sync. After you click ok on the preferences window, the main Codebook window should say “Started listener on port 57419” in the lower left hand corner.
  6. As long as all the above goes smoothly, attempt to sync again and see if you’re able to find your Windows computer name now in the list of computers on your iPhone via the Sync screen > Computer row and are able to complete a WiFi sync.

Let me know the results. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you. Was on my way out of town and I always backup Codebook before travel. Anyway, I followed your instructions to the letter and YES I’m back in business!
I’m secure and happy! Thank you much!

1 Like

@msgidd

Great, glad I could help.

Please feel free to reach out again if you have any further questions, issues, or feedback.

Thanks again for using Codebook!