Codebook 5 Category Icon Errors on macOS

Creating or modifying the icon for a new/existing Category selects the wrong icon. The icon selected in Codebook 5 Beta is ALWAYS the first icon on the same line as the requested icon. I performed the following tests using the Bomb icon :bomb::

1. iOS & iPadOS: OK.
  2. macOS: ERROR, the Portrait icon was selected instead of the Bomb icon.

Entry icons were processed correctly on all devices.

I have attached screenshots from my MacBook showing the icons involved.

CleanShot 2024-03-25 at 17.07.08@2x

@Stan.L

Thanks so much for beta testing and for reaching out to us on the discuss board. I took a look at your feedback and did some testing on the reported issue and I can not seem to reproduce it currently. Is this something that you can reproduce with specific steps or was this just something you noticed while testing. If you can reproduce it repeatedly, please send over a list of steps at your convenience and we will attempt to reproduce here. You can send the steps over either here on discuss or to support@zetetic.net and we will create a beta testing ticket for this, thanks!

Cheers,
Don

@Stan.L
Hey @Stan.L , quick question, are you clicking in the middle of the icon you are selecting on MacOS and is the icon surrounded by a blue select square or are you clicking on the corner of the icon where it might not actually be selected by the cursor? We have been able to reproduce the issue when clicking outside of the selection square of the icon.

Cheers,
Don

Hi @Stan.L

Just wanted to add into Don’s comments: We’ve just released a new beta version today which includes some adjustments to the icon selector on macOS. You should have received an email with information about the latest betas (build 4183 for macOS, build 4182 for iOS).

Notably related to your feedback here:

• If you click in the icon margin area (rather than directly on the icon itself) it will now “bonk” to indicate that you’re clicking in the margin rather than on a selected icon.
  • If you move the mouse vertically or diagonally on the icon set, it will no longer improperly show multiple icons as selected/highlighted.

I believe that first item is what was happening to you in the reported feedback here.

When you have the opportunity, could you download the latest beta version and let us know if it resolves the issue you were experiencing? Thanks!

Cheers,
Micah

I am clicking directly on the icon (in the middle of the blue selection square).

I am performing the following steps to create a new Category on macOS:

1. Click the “+” to create a new Category (pop-up dialog).
  2. Enter a Category name.
  3. Click on the default icon.
  4. Click on the selected icon.
  5. Click on “Create Category” to close the dialog.

Please note that the behavior has change since I installed the latest update today:
Clicking on the selected icon (step 4 above) has no effect!

NOTE: I even rebooted & also deleted/re-created my account. The error above persists.

CleanShot 2024-03-26 at 17.34.07

Codebook
Version 5.0.0 (4183)
Beta Build

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
Processor 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
Graphics AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Memory 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hey @Stan.L ,
Thanks for the reply and additional comments. Just to verify, there is now no selecting the icon at all after the update? Is this this also happening for a new Category, it looks like you are trying to edit an existing one in the gif?

Cheers,
Don

@Stan.L

Are you hearing a “bonk” sound when you attempt to click the icon? We’ll keep trying to reproduce it on our end.