Codebook Version 5 Desktop will Sync to IOS but not Android

I apologize if this question has been answered, but here is my issue:

Desktop: Codebook Version 5.0.15.0, set to WiFi Sync
IOS Tablet: Codebook Version 5.0.4, WiFi only
Android: Codebook Version 5.0.1, WiFi only

The last time I synced my Android device was October 11, but I can’t get it to sync today. There has been an Android update since October 11.

I am trying to sync my Android device and the mobile device will stick on “Preparing backup.” After timing out, the error popup states that it failed to sync to IP address 172.x.x.x which is not the subnet all devices are on. After failing several times, I picked up my IOS Tablet and it synced promptly with the same settings.

Both mobile devices are on the same WiFi network, on WiFi service in the Codebook application. I stopped messing with the Windows Firewall settings when the IOS Tablet synchronized.

What should I be looking at on my Android device?

Regards,

Vermithrax

Hi @Vermithrax,

Thanks for reaching out, I would be happy to help. That sounds like an issue we just recently addressed in our upcoming 5.1 release of Codebook (not yet available). The issue is related to the process of resolving the IP address based on the hostname broadcast over mDNS. Unfortunately, there are situations where the IP address returned from the operating system is not reachable, hence the failure you’re seeing.

Until Codebook for Android 5.1.0 is released, you can temporarily work around this issue by identifying the IP address of your Desktop host machine by executing the following on a Windows command line prompt and selecting the IPv4 address:

ipconfig

or on macOS, running the following command within Terminal:

/sbin/ifconfig | grep en0: -A 6 | grep 'inet '

Within Codebook for Android, tap on the Computer row, then tap the pencil in the upper-right corner. This will allow you to manually enter the IP address of your Desktop machine for WiFi sync. Would you give that a try and let us know your results?

Hi @Developernotes:

Unfortunately, no joy.

I verified my Desktop IPv4 address using ipconfig as recommended.
I verified the IPv4 address for my Android mobile device
I edited the Computer field to match the IP address noted for the Desktop.

My latest attempt gave a slightly different answer:

"An error occurred during sync.
 Please contact Zetetic Support at support@zetetic.net for assistance.  Additional information:

Unable to connect to host
(xxx.xxx.xx.xx)

In this try, the host address is the *exact IP address* for the desktop.

I retried the IOS device, it synced promptly using the Desktop's computer name.

Just to be sure, I pinged the Android device from the Desktop - pings return normally.

Vermithrax

Hi @Vermithrax,

I’m sorry to hear that didn’t address the issue. A couple of follow-up questions:

• Have you previously been able to sync over WiFi using this Android device and Desktop computer successfully?
  • Does your Android device run a firewall or antivirus software by chance?