I am running Codebook v4.2.1 on an IMAC running OS Catalina v10.15.6. Codebook on my iPhone successfully syncs via desktop wifi to Codebook on my desktop. However, both the iPhone and desktop versions of Codebook do not sync with the Codebook data in my dropbox account. I get the error “failed to open remote metadata file. Your local Sync Key may not match the Sync Ket used to create the metadata file.” How do I resolve this conflict?
Thank you very much for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble with Dropbox sync.
This error message indicates that the Codebook data in Dropbox is encrypted with a different Sync Key than you currently have on your devices. Were you previously using a different Sync Key, synced to Dropbox, and then deleted that Sync Key and created a new one?
To resolve this issue we’ll want to replace your data in Dropbox which is encrypted with the mismatched Sync Key with the data from your devices encrypted with your current Sync Key. Here are the steps to do that:
First make a copy of your database on macOS (as an added precaution)
- Quit and close Codebook if it’s open.
- Open Finder and access Go menu > Go to Folder then paste this location in the address bar:
- Within that location is a
default.strippackage, make a copy of that file and paste it onto your Desktop.
Replace the data in Dropbox (encrypted with the mismatched Sync Key) with the data from Codebook for macOS (encrypted with your current Sync Key)
- Open and unlock Codebook for macOS.
- Access Codebook menu > Preferences > Sync Tab and select Dropbox, then close the Preferences window.
- Enable Advanced Sync Operations by following these instructions: https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/documentation/sync-operations/?platform=macos#enabling and set the Operation to Overwrite, then access Sync Menu > Overwrite Dropbox.
Perform a Merge operation on your iPhone
- Open and unlock Codebook for iPhone.
- Navigate to [More] > Sync.
- Enable Advanced Sync Operations by following these instructions: https://www.zetetic.net/codebook/documentation/sync-operations/?platform=ios#enabling and set the Operation to Merge, then Tap Start in the upper right hand corner to begin the Merge (and select a Conflict authority when prompted).
Make a test change and perform a regular sync
- Make a test change on each device.
- Perform a standard Sync Operation on each device and confirm it completes successfully and the changes are exchanged.
If everything goes smoothly, you can delete the copy of the
default.strip package you pasted onto the Desktop.
Please let me know if this allows you to sync successfully with Dropbox. I’ll be happy to help if you have any questions or run into any issues along the way. Thanks!