Error syncing with Google Drive

Failed to upload file:c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Zetetic LLC\Strip\sync\cloud\sync.lock
An error occurred attempting to create a sync.lock file during synchronization

Hi,
I’m getting the above two errors when trying to sync with Codebook 4.2.1.0 and Windows 10 with Google Drive. Android phone syncs OK.
Thanks,
dgibbs

Hi @DGibbs

I’m sorry to hear about the issue you are seeing while syncing with Google Drive. We are preparing a beta release which will be available tomorrow morning which we believe may address the issue. If you’d like to try it out, you can switch to the beta release channel within File → Preferences, then select the Updates tab. Would you be will to try out the change tomorrow and let us know your results?

Will do, thanks for your help.

Hello @DGibbs

The Codebook for Windows 4.2.2 release is now available on the beta channel. We look forward to hearing if this addresses the issue you are experiencing. Thanks!

All working now, thanks very much.

Hi @DGibbs

Thank you for getting back to us, we are happy to hear the beta release addressed the issue you were having with Google Drive sync. Take care!

Hi,
I’m afraid the error has recurred. Exactly the same messages, and I’m running 4.2.2.0. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but it’s still the same.
Do you have any advice please?

Hi @DGibbs

I’m sorry to hear you are seeing the issue again. Would you mind logging into the web interface of Google Drive and navigate into the Zetetic\Shards folder to see if any sync.lock files already exist? They should not if you have been syncing with the 4.2.2 version of Codebook for Windows, however, it would be good to check. If they do for some reason, would you try deleting them (if no other Codebook clients are syncing) and initiate a new sync from Codebook again?

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.
I checked on Google Drive in the Shards directory, there are loads of .db files and nothing else, no sync.lock file.
Tried sync again, it stops after 5% and then throws up the two errors after a minute or so.
Dave

Hi @DGibbs

Thank you for checking that. We didn’t expect there to be any sync.lock files present, but wanted to verify. Would you next try unlinking your authentication with Google Drive in the File → Preferences window accessible within the Sync tab? You can do so by clicking on the Unlink button. Next, initiate a sync, this should prompt to you to authorize Codebook to interface with your Google Drive account. Would you give that a try when you have the opportunity and let us know your results?

Thanks, have done that.
Interestingly, when codebook triggers a login to google via chrome to authenticate, I get the message to click on the user ID to authenticate, then I get this:-

This site can’t be reached

The connection was reset.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

However, going back into Codebook preferences it shows that Google Drive is linked again.

Is that any help?
Dave

Hi @DGibbs

To confirm, are you able to successfully login and access https://drive.google.com?

Yes, can log in fine, I checked the shards directory earlier.
Dave

And there is plenty of free space.

Hello @DGibbs

Would you try Unlinking again, press Save to close the Preferences window, then initiate a sync again. Are you still unable to access Google Drive authentication when initiated from Codebook? If so, what browser are you using?

Hi,
Unlinked
Saved and closed prefs window
Initiated sync
Google Drive authentication window pops up in Chrome
(I am logged into chrome with my google ID)
I click on my ID
I then get the ERR_CONNECTION_RESET page
After a minute or so I get the two errors:
Failed to upload file:c:\users\name\AppData\Roaming\Zetetic LLC\Strip\sync\cloud\sync.lock
An error occurred attempting to create a sync.lock file during synchronization
If I then go back to Codebook and check sync preferences, the link to Google Drive is listed, with the Unlink button.

Dave

Hello @DGibbs

Thanks for the follow-up. We have been able to successfully authenticate and sync via Google Drive across multiple machines; the Google Suite status dashboard does not report any outages. Because of this, we speculate it may be a localized system configuration issue. A couple of questions:

• Are you using an alternative public DNS (e.g., Google public DNS, Cloudflare, or Cisco OpenDNS)?
  • Are you on a VPN connection?

Additional troubleshooting approaches:

• Please verify via the Google Account page → Security → Manage third-party access lists Codebook
  • Would you temporarily disable the Windows firewall and attempt the authentication and sync again?
  • Would you temporarily switch to an alternative browser as your default, then attempt the authentication and sync again?

Hi,
I’m now starting to get Windows authentication errors and a Windows 0x80190001 error. There is something going wrong here, I’ve tried some fixes which don’t work, so I’ll rebuild this machine and start again. Thanks for all your help, I won’t trouble you again until I’ve fixed these other issues.
Dave

Hi @DGibbs

So sorry to hear about the troubles you are experiencing with your Windows machine. If you would rather, please feel free to reach out to us at support@zetetic.net, we’d be happy to assist once your machine is setup. I’ve just resent your license information and a link to download the latest installer to your email address.

That’s great, thank you.
Dave