Feature Request: Support images in notes

Support some base image formats (even just png) for notes intermixed with text. Idea is for some sites that present qscan’s etc. we can screen capture these and put them in codebook.

1 Like

Hi @darwould, thanks for the feedback and sorry for the delayed reply, we appreciate it!

Images within notes is something we hadn’t considered until we got a feature request for it recently in our support box. Usually folks want to attach an image (or some other binary) to an entry record, but within a note’s text is interesting. It would require us to store such notes in another format, e.g. RTF.

We would really love to add image storage to Codebook, but we’ve been holding off for the time being, as we don’t think the current sync system will support it well. Once we’ve got a better sync system in place we will revisit image storage.

What you say makes perfect sense. Based on your comments I would modify the feature request. Maybe a special category (or folder concept) that could store files (not embedded in notes). Then the sync system could be modified for this file category only, no merges on sync, just take the most recent file on a sync based on file name and date added. This could store any file (pictures included) and the name would be visible as a reference. Double click would decrypt and open In standard viewers on the system. If the clipboard has content then When this category is selected and a paste is done, a new file is added with clipboard content and prompting for a file name.

Here’s some example use cases. If I setup 2 factor for an account, sometime the master unlock key is presented as and image (can’t cut and paste). It would be easy to do a screen grab and store to file in codebook. Another use case - if I buy a software bundle and get an email with all keys, it would be super handy to screen grab all keys and store to codebook as a file with the name of the bundle.

Just some ideas.

I know this is an old question, but I have a number items, mostly loyalty cards, library cards with bar codes or QR codes that it would be really handy to be able to put the code into Codebook. Potentially what could be stored would be the numerical/text equivalent and the bar code/QR could be generated from the ASCI string and not require a high res image that bogs down the sync and explodes the file size.

A thought and I would be happy to beta.

Hello @jh0lland - The ability to add images and other binary forms to the database is definitely still something on our roadmap. We’re currently working on the sync enhancements that Billy mentioned earlier on this thread, which should give Codebook the flexibility that’s required to add image storage support.

Stephen,
As an intermediate step, a lot of what is needed are bar codes and QR codes. If Codebook only stored the numerical/text equivalent and then generated a Bar Code or QR from that to display you might not have deal with a huge chunk of binary image data. Given modern processing speeds you should take a real performance hit and could keep the database skinny.
A Thought.

Joe Holland

Hello @jh0lland that is a good idea. Actually, codebook for iOS does have the ability to scan QR codes for data storage already, but it might be possible to do the same for bar codes. We’ll look into this a bit further. Thanks!

Guys,
How goes it adding barcode generation? Note an example of doing this can be found in the San Bernardino County Library iPhone App.
Take care and keep doing good stuff.
Joe Holland

Guys,
How goes the barcode generation or has that been dropped from possible development?
Note for things lacking barcodes that people would want secure access and storage off such as drivers licenses, passports, birth certificates etc. a possible approach that wouldn’t overload Codebook with crap would be to take a photo of the item through Codebook which would at time of taking the photo generate a secure hash of the image, and it’s metadata such as time, date an location. Then Codebook carries no image date in it’s database just the hash data and the heavy lifting on the image info is the standard smartphone with camera. This capability could make Codebook very attractive for journalists, cops, insurance adjusters, auditors of all types, etc.
If you wish to discuss, please contact me.
Joe Holland

Hello @jh0lland

Thanks for following up, and my apologizes for missing your previous inquiry above. We love the idea of extending the capture mechanism for other data types for Codebook, including barcodes and files. In order to provide file capture within Codebook, our synchronization engine requires several changes. Luckily, this is currently underway. However, the synchronization changes are a prerequisite for some of these features. We do not have an exact timeline for the rollout, but I wanted you to know that we are certainly tracking these type of features for the future. Thank you for your patience.

1 Like

Guys,
Now that you have the faster Sync in place and you have a barcode engine in your toolkit as part of Sync Key maybe now is the time to look at capture and regeneration of barcodes as a new type of data entry.

And another idea, you might want to consider is for users like me that have multiple devices each with Codebook and Sync’ing to a common Cloud database so that all devices have the same data. In my case so my wife and I have a single common set of codebook entries. With this many devices, making sure they have the current version is at time a hassle. Having a journal entry that give the time stamp of the last Sync and the most recent change would be quite handy.
Shout if you wish to discuss either

On the muni device sync item the slick solution is a quick check of the time stamp in the cloud file during Codebook startup and companies to local time stamp. If different pop up a message window that you need to sync
Hope this helps
Joe

Now that you have the faster Sync in place and you have a barcode engine in your toolkit as part of Sync Key maybe now is the time to look at capture and regeneration of barcodes as a new type of data entry.

Hi Joe, thanks for sticking with us and writing us again! We still have a bit more to do on the Sync features before we switch back to other development items: we’re currently working hard on a 4.1 release to fix some Sync bugs and add some features that are needed for support purposes.

It’s true, we do have support for generating and decoding 2D bar codes, but we’re specifically only using it to represent one thing: the Sync Key, with our own encoding format. This doesn’t translate directly into support for automatically serializing 2D bar codes to Codebook Entry records and vice versa (never mind the UI for it).

We’ve discussed bar code scanning/viewing a bit more internally, and feel that implementing image/attachment support would fulfill your use case along with providing this highly requested feature to all Codebook users. Because of this, we don’t plan on implementing bar code scanning/display in the interim.

With this many devices, making sure they have the current version is at time a hassle. Having a journal entry that give the time stamp of the last Sync and the most recent change would be quite handy.

It would be ideal to make this easier to do, we agree. With a centralized, automatic background sync system it would be quite easy to do! But until we get there, we can at least display the last Sync date for the user, similar to what you’ve described with a journal entry. The last Sync date is currently displayed on the Sync view in Codebook for iOS and Android, right below the Options rows. To view it in Codebook for macOS, click on File menu, Database Info (⇧ ⌘ I) and you’ll see it displayed there. Does having this timestamp available help you out at all? Perhaps we could make it more visible?

On the muni device sync item the slick solution is a quick check of the time stamp in the cloud file during Codebook startup and companies to local time stamp.

Well, there’s nothing simple about quickly checking a cloud service for a time stamp every time the user logs into Codebook on iOS or Android, it would be a big change! Not that it would be difficult for us to do, but it has to be done quite cleanly, and some users would undoubtedly want to opt-out. We think this is more appropriate for background syncing with a centralized service, where the user has clearly opted in to such behavior.

Thanks as always for your feedback, we really appreciate it!

About image in note : i use onenote for carring my wallet card in photo, i bought every licence for all my machine and it will be a great improvement for secure storage and add i hope new customer for you

Hi all just wanted to know if this is going to happen, Support some base image formats

Hello @xzatech thanks for posting to the forum!

We are currently beta testing version 4.4, which includes a new feature for attaching images and PDFs to Entry records. We may offer the ability to store images in Notes at some point in the future, but currently we are focused on providing them on Entry records. If you’d like to try it out, we would certainly appreciate another beta tester, just let us know what platforms you use (e.g. Android, Windows) so we can set up the beta distribution.