Wifi sync ERROR "codebook must be up to date ..."

Just downloaded the trial version of Codebook for Windows so I could try out the sync feature with an OLD iPad running Codebook.

The two devices find each other ok but a message pops up saying that CB for Windows 10 must be at the latest version. I am guessing it means the iPad version, NOT the Windows version.

There are no updates available on the iPad.

Any workaround for this?

Thanks

Hey @Bobo666

Thanks for using Codebook and posting to the discussion forum, although I’m sorry to hear about the trouble when attempting to sync.

In Codebook 4.1.0 the WiFi sync protocol changed, which requires both devices to be updated to at least version 4.1.0 to be able to sync over WiFi. The latest version available for Codebook for iOS is 4.3.1.

Can you check what version of Codebook you have installed on your iPad? This can be found at the top of the Settings screen under the Codebook logo.

What iOS version is your iPad on? Codebook for iOS 4.1.0 requires at least iOS 9+ to install. The App store will only show you the latest update which is available for your device’s iOS.

Could you visit this link on your iPad: https://appstore.com/zeteticllc/codebookpasswordmanager (this is the link to Codebook in the iTunes App Store) and see if it displays an Update button which you can click to update?

Let me know those answers and the results. Thanks!

iOS = 9.3.5
Codebook = 3.5.4
No updates showing.

I am assuming the problem is because the iPad backup was from a later iPad (restored to an older iPad).

Is there any other way of getting a Windows sync?

Thanks

@Bobo666

Thanks for those responses, could you possibly be using the Legacy iPad version of Codebook? Previously there were two separate Codebook for iOS apps, one for iPhone, and one for iPad. Now there is one universal Codebook app which supports both.

The Legacy iPad version has a grayscale icon. There’s bit more information about it here along with screenshots of the two app icons: Codebook for iPad is Being Discontinued - Zetetic

Is there any other way of getting a Windows sync?

You can sync your iPad with Google Drive or Dropbox, and then sync your Windows machine to the same cloud service. This will transition the data the your iPad synced to Windows, but your Windows machine will never be able to transfer data to iPad until you update to the latest version (The sync system has changed in version 4.x of Codebook).

If you are using the iPad Legacy version of Codebook, you’ll want to to transition to the universal version by downloading it here: Connecting to the iTunes Store. syncing your Legacy iPad version with Google Drive or Dropbox, then syncing the newly downloaded universal version with the same cloud service.

Let me know if you’re using the Legacy iPad version, and if any of this information is helpful. Thanks!

Indeed, that does appear to be the case.

So, if I do this does the data (my passwords) that are currently in the legacy version automatically get transferred to the universal version, or do I have to sync with Dropbox first?

It appears that Dropbox sync is not working in the legacy version. Does the Dropbox app need to be installed, or should I be able to login to Dropbox via browser? The latter doesn’t appear to work. After Dropbox login, nothing happens.

Thanks

@Bobo666

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about using the iPad legacy version, although I’m sorry to hear that Dropbox sync isn’t working on it. Dropbox has updated their API (what’s used by Codebook to communicate with it for syncing) since the iPad Legacy version was discontinued, so they’ve most likely fully deprecated the previous API endpoints (what was used in the iPad Legacy version).

Can you give Google Drive sync a try? It might be the same story there, but it’s worth a shot.

So, if I do this does the data (my passwords) that are currently in the legacy version automatically get transferred to the universal version, or do I have to sync with Dropbox first?

It won’t be automatically transferred when installing the Universal version, you’ll need to transfer it via sync or some other way if sync doesn’t work (explained at the end).

It appears that Dropbox sync is not working in the legacy version . Does the Dropbox app need to be installed, or should I be able to login to Dropbox via browser? The latter doesn’t appear to work. After Dropbox login, nothing happens.

You don’t need the Dropbox App installed on your device to be able to sync Codebook with Dropbox. I think it’s definitely case of Dropbox deprecating (discontinuing) their previous API endpoints which were used in the iPad Legacy version of Codebook.

Another way of transferring your iPad’s Codebook data:

If Google Drive sync doesn’t work as well, we can attempt to extract your encrypted Codebook database from an iTunes backup, load it onto Codebook for Windows, install the universal version of Codebook for iOS on your iPad and sync the two.

Here are the steps:

1. Follow the steps here to take an iTunes backup, extract your encrypted Codebook database from it, and load it onto Codebook for Windows: Extracting Your Encrypted Database From An iTunes Backup Using iExplorer
  2. Launch Codebook for Windows, login and confirm your data is present.
  3. Install the universal version of Codebook on your iPad using the link in my previous message: Connecting to the iTunes Store.
  4. Setup a Sync Key on one of your devices, then import it into the other device by following these steps: Codebook Help - Setup Your Sync Key
  5. Sync your devices (using whichever method you prefer: WiFi, Google Drive, Dropbox).

Let me know if you’re able to sync via Google Drive or if you’re able to use the other way of transferring your iPad’s Codebook data. I’ll be happy to help if you have any questions or run into any issues along the way. Thanks!